Friday, November 26, 2010

Bad waiting room memories

I have decided, I am going to make more of an effort to write more on my blog....starting today.
So, today Rob had his endoscopy appointment, it was at the hospital, and on the same floor as the ICU.
We arrived and had to check in. Where we had to check in was right around the corner from the ICU waiting room. So, we checked in and sat in the main waiting room for a few minutes, until they called Rob into the back, where he would get changed and ready for the endoscopy. So they allowed me to go back there with him until he was going under.

Well, to get to the back, we walked through the ICU waiting room, I walked quickly and tried not to make it personal, that I had bad memories in that room. We got to the back, where Rob had to change and put a gown on and get his blood pressure checked and the IV for the anaesthesia. So, once that was done, and it was time for Rob to go get the anaesthesia then get the endoscopy done. The nurse walked me out and showed me where I had to sit until he was done.
She walked me right out and down the hallway that leads to the ICU. I was hesitant to walk down that hallway, because I knew where it led. I obviously did walk down that hallway, and then she led me through the door to the dreaded ICU waiting room. Told me that this is where I was to wait until they came to get me when Rob was in recovery. So I had to sit in this room for 45 minutes.
As I walked in slowly, I looked around, everything was the same, all the furniture, the fish tank, the TV, everything, not only the same, but in the same place. I saw one man sitting in there on one of the couches, so I walked to the next one and sat on the edge, I sat there frozen. I could not move, all I could do was turn my head and move my eyes and look around for the next 10 minutes. Then it happened. I started crying, if felt like I could not control the tears, they just kept falling. Rolling down my face and onto my shirt, making tear marks on my shirt. I turned my back to that man that was sitting nearby. I kept crying as I looked out the window and saw the rain on the window, mimicking my tears. I text my sister and thought I would feel better if I just wrote something to her about my feelings at the time, hoping it would help me to stop crying. I knew she would not be awake yet, so instead of calling, I sent the text. It did help, as soon as I sent the text, the sun peeked through the clouds and was shining so bright. I felt like that was my Dad telling me to stop crying.

Then I sat there with a little smirk on my face, thinking that at that moment, my Daddy was watching over me.  Helping me to get through this difficult time of sitting there by myself in a room full of horrible memories.  I made it through my wait in the waiting room and the nurse called me into the recovery area where Rob was still doped up.  He was sleeping when I first got in there, then woke up immediately when I sat down.  He was hilarious, talking like he just downed a 6 pack.  That helped me forget all about my crying just moments before.  He was saying some crazy stuff! 

Thank you all for reading, I hope to provide you with more stories and pictures as time goes on. 
Live Laugh Love 

No comments:

Post a Comment